Hungary to probe FETO-linked institutions
Hungary will launch an investigation into Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) institutions in the country, a state minister has said.
Janos Lazar announced Friday in Budapest that Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban had given an order for the investigation.
“The issue was discussed during the last week’s council of ministers. Mr. Prime Minister ordered that the foreign trade, foreign and interior ministries conduct the investigation together. The Turkish authorities will be informed about the issue later,” he said.
There are two FETO-linked schools, a business association and a cultural center in Hungary.
Lazar also said that Hungary attached importance to Turkey’s stability. “We support our ally’s stance [against the coup attempt],” he added.
Hungary’s government had harshly condemned the July 15 coup attempt in Turkey. Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto had said they were in solidarity with the democratically-elected Turkish government and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
“This coup attempt may be named as a terrorist action by taking into consideration its method and casualties,” Szijjarto said following the foiled coup.
Turkey’s government has said the July 15 coup attempt, which left 240 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured, was organized by followers of Fetullah Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania since 1999, and his FETO network.
Gulen is accused of leading a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary, forming what is commonly known as the parallel state.